So about 2 years ago, I bought a Creative ZEN Nano player from Amazon. It worked great for awhile, but now it’s a bit faded and the next/previous scrollwheel is a bit broken. I therefore, I can’t fast forward anymore. Bleh. Being the cheapskate that I am, I didn’t opt for the new version but instead tried to solve the problem. I decided to split up files into 5 minute segments (I mostly listen to podcasts) so at most I’d only have to get through that much to get  to where I wanted to be.

The first program I found was MP3 Splitter. I tried using that for awhile, and it did the job but it was slooow. The other problem was that it was all GUI based so I could batch it up. So I went on the hunt again and found mp3splt. Initially, when I tried it I got this error:

>"\mp3splt\mp3splt.exe" -t 5.00 -d temp audio.mp3

mp3splt 2.2.1 (02/10/08) - using libmp3splt 0.5.1
        Matteo Trotta
        Alexandru Munteanu
THIS SOFTWARE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
 error: no plugin matches the file 'audio.mp3'

It didn’t take too long to figure out as I enabled the -D Debug switch and it gave me the following output.

>"\mp3splt\mp3splt.exe" -D -t 5.00 -d temp audio.mp3

mp3splt 2.2.1 (02/10/08) - using libmp3splt 0.5.1
        Matteo Trotta
        Alexandru Munteanu
THIS SOFTWARE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Searching for plugins ...
Scanning plugins in the directory  _/home/ion/hacking/mp3splt-project/mp3splt-pr
oject/trunk/libmp3splt/../../libs/lib/libmp3splt_
Scanning plugins in the directory  _\.libmp3splt_
Scanning plugins in the directory  _.\_

Number of plugins found =

Setting filename to split... _audio.mp3_
Setting path of split... _temp_
Starting to split file...
Original filename to split is  _audio.mp3_
We check and set correct options..
Creating directory ... _temp_
We check if the new filename path is correct  _temp_
Detecting file format...
Checking the format of _audio.mp3_
No plugin found !
Verify if the file is a file _audio.mp3_
 error: no plugin matches the file 'audio.mp3'

From the debug messages I could figure that it was looking for plugins in the current working directory instead of where mp3splt was installed. I ran it from where it was installed and voilà,  it worked. This program is sooo much faster than the previous one with a lot of funky features. Silence detection is awesome plus some other options which are pretty cool. Check out their man page for the options and some examples.

These are the options that I’m using at the moment:

-t 5.00 -a -p gap=15,th=-23,rm -o @f_@n -d c:\output

Those switches

  • split the file up into 5 minute segments
  • auto-adjusts for silence detection either side with 15 seconds
  • has a threshold of -23 db for what is considered silence
  • removes the silence
  • outputs mp3 split files in the format <original name>_<split number>
  • Saves the output to the “C:\output” directory

It works great!